This recipe was one that i had wanted to make forever, but was afraid to make egg rolls. (crazy i know) My husband and i are trying to watch what we eat, and so i did not want to fry the egg rolls. So i baked them! These are also super easy to reheat and maintain their crunchy exterior. If you have a toaster oven just toss them(gently) on the rack and set to the toast function. You can also put it in the oven but that would take much longer. You can put whatever you want into these i used what i had on hand.
Ingredients: for egg rolls
Wrappers like above
Veggies thinly sliced into strips
I used- cabbage, onion & red pepper (our fridge was really wimpy)
0. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Take about a tbsp or less enough to coat the pan or pam cooking spray
2. toss in cabbage/ whatever veggies you have that take awhile to cook.
3. add onions & red pepper/ same as above
4. be sure to stir and watch to keep the cabbage a bit crunchy, if you don’t keep it crunchy its not a big deal.
5. add other veggies such as mushrooms.
6. Take a pan and spray with pam/rub with olive oil
7. take pan off burner and turn off the stove (just a friendly reminder i forgot :))
8. take your wrappers and gently peel a layer off turn it diamond shape so a tip is facing your belly button.
9. add filling to a bit lower then the center of your wrap
10. fold up the left and right sides (like an envelope)
11. then close, you don’t need a paste to keep it closed just hold the part you just closed with your hand and flip, placing it onto the pan.
12. once you have filled the pan spray your egg rolls with pam/ spread a layer of olive oil over the top.
13. Place into the now toasty oven for 8-10 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
***While its baking you are going to want something to dip your roll into i assume?
You could always buy a dip such as sweet n sour but it is ridiculously easy to make your own.
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of teriyaki
a pinch of sesame seeds
1 tsp of sherry or other liquor (optional)
1 tsp of rice vinegar
Mix & refrigerate until your rolls are done.
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (i use nayonnaise)
2 tbs vinegar of choice ( i used rice vinegar)
1 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp of celery seed (its okay if you don’t have it)
black pepper to taste
1/2 or more head of cabbage sliced thinly (but not see through if that makes sense think a cm or so)
1. place cabbage in bowl
2. mix ingredients in seperate bowl
3. blend & enjoy 🙂
Finally the sherry mushrooms!!!!!!!!!!
I am a mushroom fanatic, i eat them every day and if i could figure out a way to eat them in my cereal i would.These are simple and delicious.
1/2 box mushrooms of choice (baby bella/cremini)
tsp olive oil
2 tbs Sherry of choice
1. put olive oil in pan
2. slice mushrooms roughly/however you want
3. toss in pan
4. wait about a minute and add in the sherry let simmer until the liquid is gone
5. enjoy your tasty morsels 🙂
That’s all for today but check back soon as i have a stock pile of recipes that i just pulled off my camera.
Hope you had a great Easter if you celebrated it.